Friday, November 23, 2012

Good reads for improving your skin (the organic way)

If like me, you have an interest in educating yourself on safer, organic skincare then there are a few good reads out there. Here are three of my favourites;


1.) No More Dirty Looks
Siobhan O'Connor and Alexandra Spunt.

Written by a journalist and features editor for the New York GOOD magazine, this book is both good fun and educating. It's easy to dip in and out and you always come away with a broader understanding of this bewildering beauty industry and what to look for when buying 'organic' skincare and cosmetics. This book examines dangerous ingredients used in globally available brands and how they can damage our bodies. It also examines the complete lack of regulation in the beauty industry. It's pretty shocking when you start getting your head around some of the ingredients used in our everyday products i.e. lead in lipstick and titanium dioxide in sunscreen!
What I like about this read is it encourages the consumer to be proactive listing some great organic products, ingredients to avoid when buying skincare and it even provides DIY recipes for those who have time to give it a go! An easy but essential read for anyone who wants to learn more about the beauty industry.

2.) The Clear Skin Cookbook
Dale Pinnock

I am of the belief that what you eat will effect your body, including your skin. I think radiant looking skin starts with a healthy diet and drinking lots of water. Good skincare, as important as it is, is secondary to that.
Dale's book is great fun-it's full of fascinating facts about the skin and how it works and then it looks at how what we eat can effect our skin and change it for the better/worse. I would say this book is particularly helpful to those who suffer with conditions like psoriasis, acne or eczema, where Dale details foods that can really help these conditions. It takes a lot of self discipline but even if you can integrate a few of his suggestions into your diet it can make all the difference.

3.) The Organic Pharmacy. The complete guide to natural health and beauty.
Margo Marrone

Margo is an pioneer in the organic skincare industry. I am a huge fan of her products and love her signature 'Rose Lymphatic Facial' (honestly it always feels like I've died and gone to heaven!) This book is great and really has something for everyone who is trying to live in a more organic way. Margo looks at many different common aliments in this book and then suggest natural ways to treat them, be it through homeopathy, herbs, reflexology or aromatherapy. It's a great tool for those who are trying to help themselves using natural products. The book also provides vital information on how to look after you skin from both the 'inside' and 'outside'. I can't recommend this book highly enough, it's brilliant for working women and stay at home mums alike.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah!

    Love the NMDL book!

    Did know the other 2, but will check them out!
    The Clear Skin cookbook sounds interesting!
    I find sooo difficult to stick on a diet, though; however, I can say that overall I eat pretty heathily...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Clear Skin cookbook is great, it's not so much of a diet but it just gives you lots of inspiration for recipes that help the individual skin complaints. I too can't do diets and I'm not a fan of them at all. I personally think it's all about eating loads of healthy grub with lots of fruit, veg! I try and drink lots of water too as that helps to keep my skin nice and clear :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the NMDL book is a really good book that raises awareness in regards to the importance of using natural products. The third book sounds great! Have you tried products by Organic Pharmacy or make up by Organic Glam? I really want to try them, but not sure which one I should try first.

    http://skjonnhet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Asti, I love the Organic Pharmacy products but they can be quite pricey. I would suggest trying their Carrot Balm Cleanser which is brilliant and suitable for all skin types and I also like the Jasmine and honey face mask. It's very gentle and smells amazing!! A real treat :-) in terms of Organic Glam I use their eyeshadow shimmer in ice mint and charcoal and their eyeliner, as I have very sensitive skin around my eyes. When I use to use Nars I always got terrible red irritation around my eyes like I was allergic to some of the ingredients. I switched to Organic Glam and haven't had any problems since. Let me know if you try anything and what your thought are :-)

    Merry Christmas,

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete